Documents can only be uploaded to the Document Register from Commnia's desktop system.
Uploading documents to the register is simple, just select your file name settings, upload documents and enter in document details. Read on to find out the best processes for uploading documents.
To Upload Documents to the Register with MS Excel click here.
1. Accessing the document upload screen
From the Document Control Menu, select Upload Documents to Register.
2. Uploading your documents
To add your files, drag and drop your files to the orange cloud icon or alternatively click on Click here to upload your file to open the open file dialogue box.
If you've clicked the Click here to select option, a file explorer will open to allow you to select your files.
Once you have selected your files, click on the Next button.
If you are uploading CAD files, it's recommended to keep the APPEND checkbox selected. By doing so, the system will automatically append.DWG to your document number to help differentiate CAD files and their PDF counterpart.
3. File Name Settings
Commnia has some built-in tools to help you Automatically Populate File Information. The file name settings are where you can use the filename syntax to Automate the Document Number, Document Revision and Document Description.
The below example will go over how to set up the Pattern Builder to recognise your file name.
Example; A file name like - A2200-A-CPP - LOWER GROUND.pdf
In the above file name, you can see that it contains the Document Number, Revision and Description;
Document Number: A2200
Description: CPP - Lower Ground
A hyphen is being used to separate these section of information.
A Separator is any character/s used to help differentiate between your section of information. It can be any combination of character/s, as long as it is consistent with all your files.
From the example we are using, you would want your Pattern Builder setup like this.
You can place the properties of the filename anywhere in the string.
Important to note:
- The system will retrieve information based on your separators.
- In the above example, the system will get all the text before the first hyphen and will save this as your document number.
- Anything between your first and second hyphen would be considered the revision.
- Finally, anything after your second hyphen would be your description.
You can test your settings by clicking on the Apply Pattern button.
If you need to start again, you can click on the Clear All option.
You can also use the Find / Replace option to help assist you to make mass updates.
The N icon should only appear for brand new drawings.
If the documents you are uploading is a new revision, a link icon should appear instead.
If its a revised documents, you will be only permitted to enter Rev, Status and Progress fields. All other fields will be locked, you can unlock it by clicking on the link icon, which will save it as a new document and not a revision.
In the case of a revision, you may need to double-check your Doc Numbers to ensure they are the same as the ones previously uploaded. The system recognises documents to be of the same set as longs as the Doc Numbers match. By ensuring the Doc Numbers match, this will allow the system to automatically supersede your drawings as revisions and select previous recipients for notification.
4. Enter the document classifications
- Type is the type of document such as a drawing, photo, BIM etc.
- Discipline is the classification of discipline such as Architectural, Electrical, Mechanical etc
- Status refers to the status of the document such as CC Issue, Issued For Review, Building Permit Issued etc
- Progress advises the document progress. Some users will only have permission to upload in a review state until an authorised user approves the document to the register. Accepted will only be available to the company controlling the Register.
Please note, all dropdown options for classification can be customised by the Document Controller. If you require additional options, please contact them or any administrator of the project
5. Next Steps
Depending on your role within the organisation, you will be presented with multiple options to further proceed.
After your documents have been uploaded to the document register, you can either View these documents directly in the register, add them to an Auto Transmittal or Create a Tender Package.
If you need to Notify others about the drawings you have just uploaded, select Submit with Commnia Email.
Full options available if you are the Document Controller
Limited options if you are not the Document Controller